Skip to main content

No one cares about Justin Bieber's arrest

No one cares about Justin Bieber's arrest. Or Jennifer Lawrence's wardrobe. Or Miley Cyrus's hair.

At least, not in a deeply personal, life-altering way. 

Ok, maybe some people do care that much. 

But for most of us, while tabloids exploit the personal lives of these celebrities for sheer entertainment value, we move on with our lives as usual, because - quite frankly - the headlines just don't matter. 

Really

What difference does it make in my life? None. 

Will pop culture impact my life for the better? Not likely. 

Am I a better person for having kept up with celebrity gossip? Nope. 

Let's be honest.

The people who make the greatest impact on your life aren't famous. They're not drawing attention from the media. They're not delivering a political speech, playing in the Super Bowl, or posing for cameras on the red carpet.

The people who make the greatest impact on your life are those who are closest to you. 

The teacher who invests in you. 

The boss who welcomes your ideas.

The coach who believes in you. 

The friend who listens to you. 

The spouse who loves you. 

The children who make you laugh. 

It's the people we spend our everyday lives with who truly make a difference. They share their hearts. They encourage us. They lift us up when we fall down. And they commit themselves to deeply loving the people around them. 

My piano teacher was one such individual. I studied with him from middle school through college. He never gave up on me. He continuously encouraged me. He saw the best in me when I was ready to throw in the towel. And he pushed me to achieve more than I ever dreamed. 

With his persistence - and the loving support of my parents - I chose to major in music. I wrote and recorded 4 albums before graduating summa cum laude from a highly competitive music program. He believed in me. And he was the kind of guy that wouldn't let me falter - even if it meant he had to hold my hand every step of the way.

He passed away unexpectedly eight years ago, well before his time. The very last time we talked, he spoke with the usual direct enthusiasm that I had come to know and love. These were his last words to me: "Don't you EVER quit singing and playing. You're too talented! Use those gifts, girl!"

Yes, sir. 

THAT is the kind of power and impact we should all strive to have in the lives around us. 

Contagious joy.

Loving honesty.

Undiminished enthusiasm. 

Faithful commitment. 

Be the encourager. Be the believer. Be the best friend.

Because someday when your friends and family look back and recall the relationships that have meant the most to them throughout life, they probably won't think of Justin Bieber. They'll think of you. 


Dedicated to Scottt E. Sward
Aug. 24, 1962 - Jan. 25, 2006


Photo credit: MGOETZ/SPLASH NEWS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Traits of Highly-Engaging Social Media Posts

Digital media consumption is at an all-time high. Millenials no longer rely on traditional and mainstream media producers for the latest news and information. Social media is literally revolutionizing the way people do research and engage with the world. When consumers are formulating opinions about a brand, they rely on peer-to-peer reviews more than high-budget advertising. And they can go directly to social media to get a feel for a brand's true colors before investing in its products or services. With so much information competing for attention on social media, how can you develop a keen strategy for reaching consumers with relevant content? Here are 4 tips: Be succinct.  You have exactly 2 seconds to engage your audience. Make your point and make it fast. Save the fine print and flowery details for later. Use imagery.  Social media posts with photos capture more engagement than posts without pictures. Your photos should be relevant to your content, and preferably

I was a perfectionist. Then I had kids.

Life is messy. Sticky. Goopy. Some days, I feel I could run a cleaning business. Based on the number of hours spent washing, changing, tidying, scrubbing, folding, and wiping, I often feel that parenting is just one giant exercise in cleaning up. Before I had kids, my house was fairly clean. My car smelled fairly nice. My schedule was fairly organized. My life was – for the most part – under control. And control was the key. Control allowed me to manage my responsibilities. Control gave me the power to change my circumstances. I liked control. Actually, I loved control. As an ENTJ (the Meyers-Briggs personality assessment is spot on for me), it felt fulfilling to have a sense of control in my life. That’s why parenting was such a major adjustment. I suddenly lost control of so many variables – my time, my space, and even my feelings (Okay, why do Subaru commercials have to be so emotional? I think I cried at every single one of them when I was pregnant). In the early years of parent

I want to be a butterfly

December 19, 2014 Dear Julia, Earlier this week, you and I had a conversation that I’ll never forget. You’re 4-and-a-half (although I feel like I just brought you home from the hospital… I swear I only blinked). You’re so full of life. Your energy and enthusiasm make me smile every day! We needed groceries. Badly. So we hopped in the car and drove to Sam’s Club. It was one of those evenings when I didn’t have much time after work to make dinner, so we opted for pizza at Sam’s. After ordering a few slices of pepperoni pizza (you may only weigh 31 pounds, but you can put away an entire slice of Sam’s pizza by yourself), I sat down across from you and began cutting your pizza into little bite-size pieces. You asked me how my day at work went. By the way, that’s not typical for a preschooler. Most 4-year-olds are only interested in Dora the Explorer. Not you. You like to ask questions. You’re a relationship builder. You care about people’s thoughts and ideas, and yo