Skip to main content

Letters to Julia: Toasted Bagels with Cream Cheese


September 6, 2015

Dear Julia,

Today was a full day. We went to church this morning, went shopping, attended a birthday party this afternoon, then came home to a messy house with loads of laundry needing to be done. We opted to play outside with bubbles and sidewalk chalk. The laundry can wait.

After bath time, you brushed your teeth while I brushed your long brown curly hair. Although you’re five years old, you haven’t had a haircut yet – maybe because I know those ringlet curls won’t come back after your first haircut.

I kneeled down next to your bed to tuck you in. As I kissed your forehead, I noticed your face wasn’t as happy as usual, so I asked what was wrong. You said, “My tummy hurts.” I asked, “What would help it feel better?”

“Toasted bagels with cream cheese.”

You didn’t even have to think twice about that. You said you were still hungry even though you ate plenty for dinner. Here’s one of those tough choices that moms face: 1.) Should I say that it’s already past bedtime and you need your rest, so we’ll have bagels for breakfast, or 2.) Should I indulge your polite request this once, and share a special time together with my girl who’s growing up far too quickly?

Toasted bagels with cream cheese it is.

I picked you up and carried you downstairs, passing a pile of dirty laundry along the way.

You sat quietly in your chair at the table while I hurriedly put together the ingredients for your snack in the dark kitchen. We didn’t want to wake up Rachel, so we both tried to keep things quiet.

When the toaster popped your bagel up, I smothered it with cream cheese and placed it on your favorite plate – the one that’s pink and shaped like a heart. I sat down next to you to talk with you as you ate your bagel.

“Julia, I want you to know how proud I am of you. You’re doing such a good job in Kindergarten.” You started Kindergarten 2 weeks ago, and have already earned the admiration of your teacher and all your classmates. “I’m so glad that God gave me you as a daughter. I’m honored to be your mommy.”

You had just stuffed a huge piece of bagel in your mouth, so you didn’t want to talk with food in your mouth, but you looked up at me with big grateful eyes. You held up both hands, and placed your thumbs and index fingers together to make the shape of a heart, then you looked through the heart towards me.

My eyes welled up with tears as you swallowed and said, “I love you SO much, Mommy.”

“I love you, too.”

You reached out to hold my hand. We sat there together in the dark quiet dining room holding hands as you finished your bagel. I’m not sure if we’ve ever shared a moment so sweet, and so sincere. And to think I could have passed that up, because there was laundry to do, or because it was already past bedtime. 

The fact of the matter is that stuff will always try to get in the way of the important things in life. Schedules, task lists, routines, and responsibilities will try to distract from the reason why we are placed here on this earth – to love.

When you were done with your bagel, I picked you up and carried you back to your room. You wrapped your arms tightly around my neck as I carried you up the stairs. You smiled as I laid you down in your bed, “My tummy feels all better now.”

I wiped the cream cheese off your chin and whispered, “Good night, Julia. I love you. I’m proud of you. And I’m so glad you’re mine.”

Moments like these are ones I’ll never forget.

I’m truly so honored to be yours,


Mommy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Traits of Highly-Engaging Social Media Posts

Digital media consumption is at an all-time high. Millenials no longer rely on traditional and mainstream media producers for the latest news and information. Social media is literally revolutionizing the way people do research and engage with the world. When consumers are formulating opinions about a brand, they rely on peer-to-peer reviews more than high-budget advertising. And they can go directly to social media to get a feel for a brand's true colors before investing in its products or services. With so much information competing for attention on social media, how can you develop a keen strategy for reaching consumers with relevant content? Here are 4 tips: Be succinct.  You have exactly 2 seconds to engage your audience. Make your point and make it fast. Save the fine print and flowery details for later. Use imagery.  Social media posts with photos capture more engagement than posts without pictures. Your photos should be relevant to your content, and preferably

I was a perfectionist. Then I had kids.

Life is messy. Sticky. Goopy. Some days, I feel I could run a cleaning business. Based on the number of hours spent washing, changing, tidying, scrubbing, folding, and wiping, I often feel that parenting is just one giant exercise in cleaning up. Before I had kids, my house was fairly clean. My car smelled fairly nice. My schedule was fairly organized. My life was – for the most part – under control. And control was the key. Control allowed me to manage my responsibilities. Control gave me the power to change my circumstances. I liked control. Actually, I loved control. As an ENTJ (the Meyers-Briggs personality assessment is spot on for me), it felt fulfilling to have a sense of control in my life. That’s why parenting was such a major adjustment. I suddenly lost control of so many variables – my time, my space, and even my feelings (Okay, why do Subaru commercials have to be so emotional? I think I cried at every single one of them when I was pregnant). In the early years of parent

First World Problems

Matthew 6:25-27, 31-34   “Therefore I tell you, do not worry   about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?   Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.   Are you not much more valuable than they?   Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’   For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.   But seek first his kingdom   and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.   Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Last week I was driving to work, sitting in traffic on US 29, when a lady going 50-60 mph slammed into the back of my car, effe