Skip to main content

I was a perfectionist. Then I had kids.


Life is messy. Sticky. Goopy.

Some days, I feel I could run a cleaning business. Based on the number of hours spent washing, changing, tidying, scrubbing, folding, and wiping, I often feel that parenting is just one giant exercise in cleaning up.

Before I had kids, my house was fairly clean. My car smelled fairly nice. My schedule was fairly organized. My life was – for the most part – under control.

And control was the key. Control allowed me to manage my responsibilities. Control gave me the power to change my circumstances. I liked control.

Actually, I loved control.

As an ENTJ (the Meyers-Briggs personality assessment is spot on for me), it felt fulfilling to have a sense of control in my life. That’s why parenting was such a major adjustment. I suddenly lost control of so many variables – my time, my space, and even my feelings (Okay, why do Subaru commercials have to be so emotional? I think I cried at every single one of them when I was pregnant).

In the early years of parenting, I honestly felt like I lost myself. I felt that I had to become an entirely new person in order to accommodate the needs of my growing family. And – if we’re being transparent – that’s exactly what I needed.

Being a perfectionist implies a need for control. 

Now, hear me on this: it’s not wrong to be a perfectionist. In fact, perfectionists almost always understand the most efficient and effective way of doing things (seriously though, that is a huge advantage in the workplace).

But, for me, I tried to take perfectionism to the extreme. I wanted my life to be perfect. I disliked messes and inefficiency. Actually, I loathed messes and inefficiency. That’s where the problems crept in: I created a massive, unbridgeable gap between my expectations and real life.

Life is messy. Sticky. Goopy.

And there’s really no way to control that. Accidents happen. Projects fail. Finances take a nose dive. Anniversaries get forgotten. And people aren’t perfect.

Hear that?

People. Aren’t. Perfect.

In the age of social media and photo editing, it’s easy to assume that some people are perfect. But you only see the best images. The best days. The highlight reel.

In reality, we all fail. We all have weaknesses. We all struggle. And we all need forgiveness.

In the process of cleaning up the messes in life, I’m learning one giant lesson: Forgive us, as we forgive.

Jesus’s followers once asked Him how they should pray. His answer was clear:

“This, then, is how you should pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name, Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’” (Matthew 6:9-13)

The truth is this: we are in debt, and we must forgive our debtors. The language doesn’t say “forgive if you feel like it.” Instead, it acknowledges that all are in debt, and that all must forgive.

I’ve made a number of messes in my lifetime. Too many to count. From the earliest days, most of my messes were beyond my ability to clean up. Someone else cleaned it up – undoubtedly my mom and my dad. Life is coming full circle, and now I am cleaning up after my own babies.

Forgive us, as we forgive.

I’ve been hurt. Mistreated. Abandoned. Neglected.

Forgive us, as we forgive.

I realize that I’ve also caused hurt in other’s lives because of my failures.

Forgive us, as we forgive.

We cannot live successfully without accepting the reality of life’s messes, and embodying a willingness to clean them up. To forgive. To move on.

Life is messy. Sticky. Goopy.

And there’s beauty in that. There’s a realness in that. There’s forgiveness in that.

The human experience isn’t about creating the cleanest, fastest, or prettiest track record. It’s about connection, forgiveness, and doing this messy thing called life together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Traits of Highly-Engaging Social Media Posts

Digital media consumption is at an all-time high. Millenials no longer rely on traditional and mainstream media producers for the latest news and information. Social media is literally revolutionizing the way people do research and engage with the world. When consumers are formulating opinions about a brand, they rely on peer-to-peer reviews more than high-budget advertising. And they can go directly to social media to get a feel for a brand's true colors before investing in its products or services. With so much information competing for attention on social media, how can you develop a keen strategy for reaching consumers with relevant content? Here are 4 tips: Be succinct.  You have exactly 2 seconds to engage your audience. Make your point and make it fast. Save the fine print and flowery details for later. Use imagery.  Social media posts with photos capture more engagement than posts without pictures. Your photos should be relevant to your content, and preferably

I want to be a butterfly

December 19, 2014 Dear Julia, Earlier this week, you and I had a conversation that I’ll never forget. You’re 4-and-a-half (although I feel like I just brought you home from the hospital… I swear I only blinked). You’re so full of life. Your energy and enthusiasm make me smile every day! We needed groceries. Badly. So we hopped in the car and drove to Sam’s Club. It was one of those evenings when I didn’t have much time after work to make dinner, so we opted for pizza at Sam’s. After ordering a few slices of pepperoni pizza (you may only weigh 31 pounds, but you can put away an entire slice of Sam’s pizza by yourself), I sat down across from you and began cutting your pizza into little bite-size pieces. You asked me how my day at work went. By the way, that’s not typical for a preschooler. Most 4-year-olds are only interested in Dora the Explorer. Not you. You like to ask questions. You’re a relationship builder. You care about people’s thoughts and ideas, and yo