Skip to main content

As It Turns Out, Nobody's Got It Together: 6 Reasons It's Okay to Admit Failure

As It Turns Out, Nobody's Got It Together: 6 Reasons It's Okay to Admit Failure

We've all had those moments.  Those times when, despite your best efforts, you just fall flat on your face.  And then you dust off and pretend it never happened.  Why?  Because, for whatever reason, it seems taboo to admit it happened.  

Failure is a touchy subject.  Nobody wants to admit failure.  More importantly, nobody wants to accept failure.  You have a drive within to achieve better results, and most bosses, family members, friends, and significant others affirm that drive by expecting better results from you.  They certainly don't want to accept failure, so neither should you.  Right?

It's funny how society seems to have formed this image of pseudo-perfection in daily living.  We put on a good face for the company.  And the neighbors.  And the church.  And the social networks.  When it all adds up, you're left with a self-image that appears, to the general public, to be perfection.  Only you know it's a lie.

Now before you think I'm going to endorse a brash approach to brutal honesty, let me say that there is certainly a time and a place for cordiality.  You know the value of a good presentation, and the importance of understanding your audience.  So gauge your social interactions appropriately and give each one the response it deserves.  Then remember these 6 reasons that it's okay to admit failure:
  1. Admitting failure shows humility.  Proverbs 18:12 says, "Before destruction a person's heart is arrogant, but humility comes before honor."  Enough said.
  2. Admitting failure creates transparency and trust.  You can't have one without the other.  When you create transparency with openness and honesty, trust is a natural reaction.
  3. Admitting failure shows others you understand the value of a good life lesson.  There is absolutely a reason for everything you experience.  Many times, the reason is to teach you - or someone else - a lesson that will serve as preparation for the next step.  Don't miss the benefit of learning from your mistakes.
  4. Admitting failure shows off your genuine side.  You know how they identify authentic diamonds?  They look for flaws.  Most real diamonds have defects.  If you see a diamond with no imperfections, it's probably not real.  The real valuable stuff is created under incredible pressure.  Just like human character.
  5. Admitting failure levels the playing field.  When others see that you've failed before, they get a better sense of connection with you because they know their own weaknesses.  People usually feel more comfortable around those who have similar backgrounds and experience.
  6. Admitting failure opens the door to new opportunity.  Thomas Edison said, "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."  He recognized the important role of failure in the road to success.  For every failure you experience, you take one step closer to success.
So the next time you're tempted to tout your accolades and achievements without any mention of your failures, remember the value of honesty and humility.  And get ready for the rewards that come with them.


Photo credit: alexisgrant.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Traits of Highly-Engaging Social Media Posts

Digital media consumption is at an all-time high. Millenials no longer rely on traditional and mainstream media producers for the latest news and information. Social media is literally revolutionizing the way people do research and engage with the world. When consumers are formulating opinions about a brand, they rely on peer-to-peer reviews more than high-budget advertising. And they can go directly to social media to get a feel for a brand's true colors before investing in its products or services. With so much information competing for attention on social media, how can you develop a keen strategy for reaching consumers with relevant content? Here are 4 tips: Be succinct.  You have exactly 2 seconds to engage your audience. Make your point and make it fast. Save the fine print and flowery details for later. Use imagery.  Social media posts with photos capture more engagement than posts without pictures. Your photos should be relevant to your content, and preferably

I was a perfectionist. Then I had kids.

Life is messy. Sticky. Goopy. Some days, I feel I could run a cleaning business. Based on the number of hours spent washing, changing, tidying, scrubbing, folding, and wiping, I often feel that parenting is just one giant exercise in cleaning up. Before I had kids, my house was fairly clean. My car smelled fairly nice. My schedule was fairly organized. My life was – for the most part – under control. And control was the key. Control allowed me to manage my responsibilities. Control gave me the power to change my circumstances. I liked control. Actually, I loved control. As an ENTJ (the Meyers-Briggs personality assessment is spot on for me), it felt fulfilling to have a sense of control in my life. That’s why parenting was such a major adjustment. I suddenly lost control of so many variables – my time, my space, and even my feelings (Okay, why do Subaru commercials have to be so emotional? I think I cried at every single one of them when I was pregnant). In the early years of parent

I want to be a butterfly

December 19, 2014 Dear Julia, Earlier this week, you and I had a conversation that I’ll never forget. You’re 4-and-a-half (although I feel like I just brought you home from the hospital… I swear I only blinked). You’re so full of life. Your energy and enthusiasm make me smile every day! We needed groceries. Badly. So we hopped in the car and drove to Sam’s Club. It was one of those evenings when I didn’t have much time after work to make dinner, so we opted for pizza at Sam’s. After ordering a few slices of pepperoni pizza (you may only weigh 31 pounds, but you can put away an entire slice of Sam’s pizza by yourself), I sat down across from you and began cutting your pizza into little bite-size pieces. You asked me how my day at work went. By the way, that’s not typical for a preschooler. Most 4-year-olds are only interested in Dora the Explorer. Not you. You like to ask questions. You’re a relationship builder. You care about people’s thoughts and ideas, and yo