Skip to main content

Relationship Building in Business Development: Is It Really that Critical?

If you’ve spent any time in customer service or sales, you’ve heard the benefits of connecting with your clients on a personal level.  You know it builds rapport, opens up lines of communication, and all that good warm fuzzy stuff.

But is it really that valuable?  It’s difficult to gauge the effectiveness of relationship building.  There’s no exact formula for ROI.  You spend a significant amount of time and money on relationship building, but – let’s face it – you can’t easily monetize it.

I don’t specialize in sales.  But I’ve listened to more than a few sales pitches.  As a media buyer, I can tell you exactly what customers are looking for – and what they’re not.  Here are some things you should know about your client’s expectations before you meet with them:
  1. Understand your customer.  Research your customer’s agency before meeting with them.  Look at their website, sign up for their emails, or maybe even use the ‘secret shopper’ technique to get to know their business. Be ready to tell them exactly how a partnership with you would improve their operations.
  2. Understand your products and services. Marketing is all about finding a need in your customer base and meeting that need with your services.  Products don’t sell themselves – you have to get behind them with knowledge, expertise, and a desire to build a strong business relationship. 
  3. Ask questions.  Get to know your clients personally.  Find out who they are.  What do they enjoy?  What interests them?  Find some common ground, and use that as a talking point in future conversations.  It will show that you care about them as a person and that you’re detail-oriented.
  4. Give direct answers.  Be prepared to answer any questions your client may have.  If you don’t know the answer, say so, but assure them you will find the answer and follow up.  
  5. Give the relationship the focus and attention it deserves.  In business, there’s little as disappointing as a relationship that didn’t live up to the sales pitch.  If you promise to give utmost attention to the account, follow through with that commitment.  Put in the hours.  Do your due diligence.  Constantly look for ways to improve.  Your client will see the impact.
The relationships you develop with clients won’t be the only reason they buy from you, but that will lay the groundwork for fundamental communication and set the stage for growth.  Then comes the real work of meeting needs and proving solid performance every time.

Photo credit: pongoresume.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Traits of Highly-Engaging Social Media Posts

Digital media consumption is at an all-time high. Millenials no longer rely on traditional and mainstream media producers for the latest news and information. Social media is literally revolutionizing the way people do research and engage with the world. When consumers are formulating opinions about a brand, they rely on peer-to-peer reviews more than high-budget advertising. And they can go directly to social media to get a feel for a brand's true colors before investing in its products or services. With so much information competing for attention on social media, how can you develop a keen strategy for reaching consumers with relevant content? Here are 4 tips: Be succinct.  You have exactly 2 seconds to engage your audience. Make your point and make it fast. Save the fine print and flowery details for later. Use imagery.  Social media posts with photos capture more engagement than posts without pictures. Your photos should be relevant to your content, and preferably

I want to be a butterfly

December 19, 2014 Dear Julia, Earlier this week, you and I had a conversation that I’ll never forget. You’re 4-and-a-half (although I feel like I just brought you home from the hospital… I swear I only blinked). You’re so full of life. Your energy and enthusiasm make me smile every day! We needed groceries. Badly. So we hopped in the car and drove to Sam’s Club. It was one of those evenings when I didn’t have much time after work to make dinner, so we opted for pizza at Sam’s. After ordering a few slices of pepperoni pizza (you may only weigh 31 pounds, but you can put away an entire slice of Sam’s pizza by yourself), I sat down across from you and began cutting your pizza into little bite-size pieces. You asked me how my day at work went. By the way, that’s not typical for a preschooler. Most 4-year-olds are only interested in Dora the Explorer. Not you. You like to ask questions. You’re a relationship builder. You care about people’s thoughts and ideas, and yo

I was a perfectionist. Then I had kids.

Life is messy. Sticky. Goopy. Some days, I feel I could run a cleaning business. Based on the number of hours spent washing, changing, tidying, scrubbing, folding, and wiping, I often feel that parenting is just one giant exercise in cleaning up. Before I had kids, my house was fairly clean. My car smelled fairly nice. My schedule was fairly organized. My life was – for the most part – under control. And control was the key. Control allowed me to manage my responsibilities. Control gave me the power to change my circumstances. I liked control. Actually, I loved control. As an ENTJ (the Meyers-Briggs personality assessment is spot on for me), it felt fulfilling to have a sense of control in my life. That’s why parenting was such a major adjustment. I suddenly lost control of so many variables – my time, my space, and even my feelings (Okay, why do Subaru commercials have to be so emotional? I think I cried at every single one of them when I was pregnant). In the early years of parent