Skip to main content

Ben Sauer


This story really messed me up. Rarely do I question God’s goodness.


Rarely am I moved to tears by the circumstances of a complete stranger.

But reading the story of Ben Sauer has me completely baffled and broken.

·         How could a loving, compassionate God allow a sweet 5-year-old boy to suffer and die from a cancerous brain tumor?

·         In light of the support from his New York community and media coverage around the world, wouldn’t it have been better for God to miraculously heal this little boy, and show Himself strong on the child’s behalf?

·         How do Ben’s parents find such strength? If my child was battling brain cancer, I’d be a complete basket case. But the Sauer family seems to be a pinnacle of grace.

In February 2014, Ben was diagnosed with a rare, inoperable brain tumor. Its growth would eventually impair his ability to walk, talk, and function as it spread to the areas of his brain that controlled those capabilities. He and his twin brother turned 5 on May 5th, 2014. Ben took his last breath on May 13th, 2014.

I’m not sure why this story hits close to home.

·         Maybe it’s our mutual friends from New York who know the Sauer family.

·         Maybe it’s the fact that my daughter recently had a traumatic hospitalization, but she was healed and will celebrate her 4th birthday next week.

·         Maybe it’s just the familiar sting of pain when we experience loss while expecting a miracle.

Whatever the reason, my heart is heavy for the family of Ben Sauer.

I couldn’t imagine losing a child to cancer. My daughters are so bright and full of life, it just seems backwards to think of that. Why should an innocent child suffer? Isn’t that unfair? Doesn’t God want to bless His children with good things?

The truth is simple: God does bless us with good things. Ben Sauer’s life is a testament of that.

When Ben was born, God gave an undeserved miracle.

Every day that Ben lived, God gave an undeserved miracle.

In the news articles and prayers lifted by millions, God gave an undeserved miracle.

In the final hours of his life and his peaceful transition from this life to the next, God gave an undeserved miracle.

The problem with our human perspective is that we only see one piece of the puzzle. God sees the complete picture. He sees beyond the frailty of our limited understanding, and works all things together for good.

Imagine, for a moment, that you went to a restaurant for dinner. Sitting across the room, there was a white-haired gentleman dining alone. After you ordered and finished your meal, the waitress informed you that the white-haired gentleman paid for your dinner. You approached the man to thank him for his generosity.

“It is so kind of you to pay for my meal, but I really can’t accept it,” you said. However, he insisted, so you thanked him and left.

The next evening, you returned to the same restaurant for dinner. The white-haired gentleman was there again, dining alone. You ordered a meal and ate, and again, the man paid for your meal. Surprised, you expressed your gratitude and left.

You ate at that restaurant every night for 30 days, and every night, the man paid for your meal. After a while, it became routine. You just grew accustomed to the man’s kindness and generosity.

On the 31st day, you went to the restaurant for dinner and the gentleman was there. Only this time, he did not pay for your meal. He paid for another person’s meal.

How would you respond? Would you thank him for all the meals he supplied for you? Or would you hurl insults, blaming him for denying a blessing, questioning his goodness?

I am not entitled to a thing. I didn’t pull myself up by my bootstraps. I am where I am today because of God’s blessing on my life. His unmerited, undeserved favor is the only thing that sustains me.

When the time comes to cross from this life to the next - even in death - God’s goodness is real. We cannot earn His blessing. He blesses because that’s who He is. Goodness and mercy are His unwavering attributes. And His nature is the only thing that we can rely on to faithfully carry us in life and in death.

And if death comes sooner than we might anticipate, rather than question God’s goodness, why not just offer a simple prayer of thanks?

For Ben Sauer’s life, thank you, God.

For Ben Sauer’s new life in heaven, thank you, God.

For working undeserved miracles every day, thank you, God.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Traits of Highly-Engaging Social Media Posts

Digital media consumption is at an all-time high. Millenials no longer rely on traditional and mainstream media producers for the latest news and information. Social media is literally revolutionizing the way people do research and engage with the world. When consumers are formulating opinions about a brand, they rely on peer-to-peer reviews more than high-budget advertising. And they can go directly to social media to get a feel for a brand's true colors before investing in its products or services. With so much information competing for attention on social media, how can you develop a keen strategy for reaching consumers with relevant content? Here are 4 tips: Be succinct.  You have exactly 2 seconds to engage your audience. Make your point and make it fast. Save the fine print and flowery details for later. Use imagery.  Social media posts with photos capture more engagement than posts without pictures. Your photos should be relevant to your content, and preferably

I was a perfectionist. Then I had kids.

Life is messy. Sticky. Goopy. Some days, I feel I could run a cleaning business. Based on the number of hours spent washing, changing, tidying, scrubbing, folding, and wiping, I often feel that parenting is just one giant exercise in cleaning up. Before I had kids, my house was fairly clean. My car smelled fairly nice. My schedule was fairly organized. My life was – for the most part – under control. And control was the key. Control allowed me to manage my responsibilities. Control gave me the power to change my circumstances. I liked control. Actually, I loved control. As an ENTJ (the Meyers-Briggs personality assessment is spot on for me), it felt fulfilling to have a sense of control in my life. That’s why parenting was such a major adjustment. I suddenly lost control of so many variables – my time, my space, and even my feelings (Okay, why do Subaru commercials have to be so emotional? I think I cried at every single one of them when I was pregnant). In the early years of parent

First World Problems

Matthew 6:25-27, 31-34   “Therefore I tell you, do not worry   about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?   Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.   Are you not much more valuable than they?   Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’   For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.   But seek first his kingdom   and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.   Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Last week I was driving to work, sitting in traffic on US 29, when a lady going 50-60 mph slammed into the back of my car, effe